A common task in the world of automation is to convert PLC programs from one platform to another.
The reasons for this conversions can be different, like standardization of PLCs used by a factory, customers that asks for a specific PLC and so on.
To convert a program from Siemens to Allen Bradley (and backward) Rockwell wrote an extensive document where it cover in details the difference between the 2 platforms – S7 and Logix 5000 and how to convert hardware and programs.
What you will find in this document:
- Hardware difference from S7 and Allen Bradley and how to convert different CPUs
- Networking differences between Siemens (Profibus, Profinet, Industrial Ethernet) and Allen Bradley (Ethernet/IP, ControlNet, DeviceNet)
- Difference between I/O, both local and remote.
- RsLogix 5000 vs Step7, difference on how to program address, instructions, tasks vs blocks, asyncronous vs syncrounous update, 32bit registers vs 16 bit registers,etc.
- Avoid common mistakes
- List of S7 300 and S7 400 equivalent parts from Allen Bradley